Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Confusion Reigns.....

Yes, it's not very difficult to confuse me these days.

The other day I decided to buy a one piece motorcycle rainsuit. On our ride to Gibraltar my friend, John, used one and it seemed a very good idea. Believe me the rain doesn't fall mainly in the plain!

So off I popped to one of my internet motor bike kit shops and after much faffing about decided my size was a 2XL - 48" chest. Ordered, paid for, and duly received next day.

Never having tried on one of these items of clothing before, it was a bit of a struggle - legs in, arms in, shake it all about and lo and behold a three inch gap between the sides of the zip. H'mm I thought, had I ballooned up in size overnight? Out with the tape and a check measurement. No still a chunky 48".

Well back to the t'internet shop to check out the item I had ordered. This brand only had one size larger. Rather than take a chance on this not fitting I browsed other brands. Right, here's one, sizes upto the umpteenth XL fitting. I phoned up the supplier, very obliging people too, and they agreed shopping on line can have its problems. They checked out their size charts and in this new brand my size was - guess what? Yeah, 4XL.

Returned the suit on Friday, with the necessary proof of posting, and by Monday I received the new suit. Same fun and games trying the suit on but it fitted around me notwithstanding the arms and legs were overly generous in cut and I did a brilliant impression of the Michelin Man!

"You'll need the extra length once you're sat on your bike." said the shop keeper.

So from one brand to another my size had doubled thus the reason for my confusion. Confused but waterproof!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haven't seen you in it yet...should be good for a laugh!!
Luv...The wife!! xxx

Panamaniac said...

I reckon that the fashion world are still trying to figure out the difference betwix MM & Inch's!
Not helped in the UK by mixing both metric & imperial measurements in most shops!