Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Enjoyable Break - Part 2

Well where were we?

Ah yes, finished the fish and chips. Time to look round the bungalow. SWMBO had made the reservation and decided to push the boat out - she went for the "deluxe" bungalow.

Now let me tell you a little about 'deluxe'. The TV remote control box - strange it has a rubber band wrapped around. Turning it over in my hand I realised why - it held the batteries in the box. Though the adjacent caravans had exterior aerials we had a little mobile job sitting on the front window sill. Switching on the TV the set up gave us a snowy but acceptable picture. Clicking on teletext amazed me. I felt like a time traveller. No fast text, you know the red, yellow, green, blue buttons. Not even a next page button. Every page had to be entered separately. As an avid teletext reader this system soon had me on a rant.

Moving on to the bedrooms. Not much in the way of bedding. Pillows? I have sealed thicker envelopes. The duvet was quite adequate. The covers, well the bottom cover was battleship grey and the duvet cover was a bright orange/green/yellow pattern out of a 1950s American movie, you know the kind Rock Hudson/Doris Day down on the farm.


Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2

The kitchen was fairly well equipped including a quite up to date electric Kettle and microwave. The boiler for hot water and heating was really good.


The Kitchen

The bathroom seemed to be OK at first. After a while though I became disillusioned with the toilet. Being a fella used to standing up to take a pit stop it became a little annoying that the toilet seat wouldn't stay up. Moving on to the shower. Does anybody remember their mother buying the new modern bathroom appliance then attaching the rubber tubes to the bath taps? The latest fad from America - the shower! Well that's what we had in our bathroom.


The Shower

Having said all that let say that with all its shortcomings the bungalow was exceptionally clean though the fittings may have seen better days and I would certainly stay there again.

After the first day the weather changed, the deities realised WE were on holiday so they sent rain with lashings of Force Ten gales etc. At times I felt a little like Noah but where would I find two of everything? There wasn't much timber either in this bleakish part of the Welsh coast. However, Harvey the pup couldn't wait to sally forth as often as possible. I'm pretty sure he manufactured some of those 'pee' breaks. At seven in the morning or ten o'clock at night, black, swollen clouds settling on the sea, winds prepared by dervishers and Harvey wants a 'pee'. I ask you. He did it on purpose, he enjoyed it and he was on holiday.


Well the weather didn't change all week. So while SWMBO played at 'Crafting' (apparently this is using her colouring crayons whatever to make Christmas cards) I mucked about with Sally Satnav, not used to her going mute on me and frying my brain at the daily newspaper Sukudu puzzle, with a bit of watching the old fashioned TV thrown in.
At the end of the week I checked the weather forecasts for our return home. BBC forecasted gales and heavy rains so we decided to return a day earlier. Quite a pleasant journey home, arriving Friday evening. However, BBC lived up to their usual standard of forecasting and lo and behold Saturday weather was fine. Didn't the Met Office and the BBC spend millions on updating their equipment a couple of years ago? I still find I can forecast the weather to a higher standard using the highly technical, old proven method of sticking my head out of the toilet window!
Alls well that ends well, I suppose and it was a pleasant, welcome break.

No comments: