Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Two to Gibraltar Part 3

Tuesday, 03 June 2008
Angouleme – Arrigorriaga/Bilbao
Starting Mileage: 7660
Daily Total: 289
Finishing Mileage: 7949

Again we set off in mainly overcast skies accompanied by the now usual heavy showers. We have yet to experience a dry riding day, even on our first day in Spain. My satnav did not like the crossover at the border. I had to change map software from France to Spain. With my setting on Spain the satnav thought I was still in France. Slowly it showed the correct map and data. During this period, John took over point riding but for some reason his satnav (Navman) decided to leave the motorway and take us down a scenic route. Thirty miles in a 30 mph zone. During a pit stop John managed to lay down his bike as he changed petrol pumps. John was unhurt but his bike suffered the usual scratches. Taking over on point I soon had us back on the A8 motorway and making good progress. We soon arrived at our destination – Arrigorriaga, south of Bilbao. The problem was accessing the estate containing the Etap Hotel. John rode up to a peage station to ask for directions, I tried a sharp U-turn, wheel skidded on the body of a dead hedgehog and over I went. A Spanish motorist stopped and helped me free my leg, which had been trapped underneath the bike. A really decent type – made sure I was OK and helped John recover my bike to the roadside. My elbow protector had dug into my ribs – painful. My leg was fine though. Gingerly I followed John to our hotel. Installed in our hotel and after a long, hot, hot shower followed by Ibuprofen I felt a lot better.

With directions from the Etap reception we walked across the bridge to Arrigorriaga. We called in a bar for a drink and more information on eating-places. After a while John suggested we buy something in and have a cheap night. From a small mini-market John bought Laughing Cow style cheese, bread and an apple, I bought some Danish Blue, crackers and an apple. So we picnicked in our bedrooms.















Arrigorriaga

At this point I should mention that unlike UK B&Bs, Etap’s do not have “brew kits” in the rooms though they do have machines in reception that sell hot drinks and snacks. I took along a mini kettle (about £10 on t’internet), tea bags and
powder milk. With a continental plug adapter I managed to brew in my room.

Wednesday, 04 June 2008
Arrigorriaga/Bilbao (Rest Day)
Starting Mileage: 0
Daily Total: 0
Finishing Mileage: 0

Today was our first rest day (no riding). After breakfast managed to ‘do’ some laundry. I had also bought (off the t’internet again) an interior clothesline with built in pegs and a hook either end of the line, so drying was no problem. Clean socks, trolleys and t-shirts again!!

Not riding today – weather brilliant sunshine, sod’s law!!


We met Andy & Lyn, from Birkenhead, who were waiting for the ferry from Santander, on Thursday, and had ridden their Triumph up from Portugal through Northern Spain.















Rio Nervion, Arrigorriaga


In the afternoon we strolled to a bar next to the hotel for a few ‘scoops’.

We managed to find a Chinese restaurant, the Ron Du on Severo Ochoa 8, right at the far end of town. A very large restaurant and a very good meal.

Later met up with Andy & Lyn for a nightcap.

No comments: