Saturday, July 5, 2008

Modern Tennis by A Biker

Just watching the Williams sisters playing out the Ladies Final I reflect on the way tennis has changed over the years. I am not a fan of the modern power game and would love to see a return to the skilful stroke play of the past.

I don't see the point in recording the speed of some muscle man's/woman's serve; neither do I appreciate the grunting and groaning of the marital bed as they play their shots. What happened to the fashion sense? I don't object to coloured clothes but wearing a frilly skirt over cycling shorts, I ask you? Anybody remember 'Gorgeous' Gussie Moran? Proper frilly knickers as DI Gene Hunt would say!

As for the game I would ban the double handed back stroke; ban the second serve, most players seem to keep their second serve in play so why can they not apply to the first serve; think of the time this would save. 'Hawkeye' is a great computer trick but let's have more responsibility and decisions by the umpire and proper rants from the players.

As for the TV broadcasts why do we have fillers (interviews) with so called celebrities from the Royal Box between matches? Jeez, they are so predictable and boring. Bring back the potter's wheel!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Think it's game set and match to you there Alan!!! ;0)
Viv xx

Suzanne said...

OMG you sound just like my hubby!!! Sue Viv's card blogging friend. Sue :o)